Monday, July 18, 2011

Wait And See

Kekoa, my little speed racer
Photobucket

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I heard, "Koa's only (fill in whatever age Koa was at that moment)... he'll talk soon enough. You'll see." Sometimes I even heard, "Oh, he's a BOY. Boys are always slow to talk. Just wait. If he's not talking by the time he's three, then maybe you should worry. Till then, he's fine."

Being a mother I will always, always, always advocate to anyone with a child, if you feel that something isn't right, listen to that feeling. It can't hurt to ever question your gut and have things checked out. Honestly, I would have LOVED to have gotten Koa evaluated and then have someone tell me, "Mrs. Vu, you've completely wasted your time and ours; your son is perfectly fine." But the truth of the matter is, that didn't happen. But rather, I was told, "Yes, Mrs. Vu, we will have to do some further tests because there is cause for concern." And you know what, I don't regret getting him checked out. If I never followed my instinct, if I shoved away that little voice that told me something had gone wrong with Koa's development, Koa would not be getting the treatment that he's getting and really, he wouldn't be any better off than he is today.

The reason why I've brought this little tidbit up is that a very interesting article was published recently on the "wait and see" approach for parents of late talkers. While it has concluded that about 70-80% of toddlers CAN outgrow a language delay, only if it is an expressive language delay; a still significant portion 20-30% will not catch up to their peers. Do I really want to take that chance that my son will or will not fall into that latter percentage? Do I pray and hope that he falls into the greater percentage? Of course! But I need to keep reminding myself, Koa was also diagnosed with a mild receptive delay as well as a oral apraxia, not just verbal. As a parent, why would anyone really take that chance? Hope, yes. But gamble on a positive outcome for your child? Why? I thought parenting meant just that; taking the reins and making sure that your child gets the most and best that you as a caretaker could ever really give.

Below, a post on the article... its a great must read! Check it out.
A Closer Look at the Late Talker Study: Why Parents Should Beware of a 'Wait and See' Approach (The Hanen Centre)

No comments:

Post a Comment